The Topic of Yogurt- Plain and Flavoured



Personally, I am not a yogurt person unless it has additional flavours. I researched again and again and experimented again and again to reach this level of comfort when it comes to flavoured yogurts. I had flop experiments with watery mixed yogurts to very sour yogurts.

Let's first start with plain yogurt,

For plain yogurt you need to boil milk and then add some powdered milk to the boiled milk (powdered milk gives it a thick consistency like greek yogurt). Once the milk is at close to room temperature add 1-3 tbsp of yogurt that you have previously made or use store bought yogurt to add.

Depending on the season and part of the world you reside in yogurt can take 6 hours to 2 days depending on the surrounding temperature. For us these days it takes 2 days at room temperature to set the yogurt. If I use yogurt maker, then the machine incubation takes 4-6 hours before I keep in the refrigerator.

Now lets move on to flavoured yogurt:

You can either use jam as a lower layer for yogurt or make your own fruit compote syrup. If you are like me who doesn't like the sour taste of yogurt then you can add some sugar in the boiled room temperature milk.


Here is a very healthy recipe for fruit compote:

1-1.5 cup fruits
3 tbsp chia seeds (I use them to add fibre but you don't have to add them)
1/2 cup water
2-4 tbsp honey or maple syrup

Mix all the ingredients and make a thick syrup of fruits. Make sure your fruits are ready before you turn off the stove heat. I used strawberries, blue berries and black berries.

Once the fruit compote is at room temperature, layer it first in the mason jar or yogurt jar from yogurt maker, then add milk yogurt mix.

My yogurt maker has 7 jars, so I use my machine as well as room temperature method.

This is the end result with my yogurt maker incubation machine

Yogurt is good for you if you are trying to increase your calcium intake. Also, making home made yogurt can cut your costing if you buy store made yogurts. A four litre bag of milk produces 3-4 750 ml yogurt. Each yogurt of 750 ml size cost $2-$4 of plain yogurt. If you buy flavoured yogurt 4-8 60 ml size cost $4-$7, so imagine the saving on flavoured yogurt.

It's not just about the price but also about the additives and sugar level that you can control when you make your own items.

Enjoy!!!

Comments

Popular Posts