Homemade Whole Wheat Pita Bread








I am always up for chemical free homemade recipes that are healthier for me as well as my family. I got this recipe from one of the cooking books that I got from the library. The good thing about these pita breads is that you can store them in ziploc bags and keep them in the fridge/freezer depending on your need. Once you need them you can warm them up in the microwave and they are fresh as ever. I kept mine in the fridge for few days.

Ingredients:

2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp salt or less (the original recipe used coarse sea salt/kosher salt..which I thought gave the pita a burst of saltiness when the crystal comes in the mouth...so, I think regular salt works best for the recipe)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour

I used my bread machine for the dough but you can use your hands to form the dough. Preheat oven for 500 degrees. Make 16 even portions of the dough for about 7 inch round. Bake for 5 minutes or less depending on the need. I used pizza stone for baking these pitas.

Enjoy these pitas with any food you want and even with dips as healthy snacks.

Comments

Popular Posts