Nargisi Koftay


Nargisi Koftay is considered as a delicacy that people used to eat at weddings and wedding dawats decades ago. Over the years I haven't seen people making these because not it involves extra steps and needs some extra work.

I made these koftas seldomly before and the problem was the recipes that I followed. They would leave the qeema uncooked from inside. So, one day I was browsing a photocopied handwritten cookbook that is with my family for over 20 years. I read the recipe in it and told myself that I'll give this recipe a try. The recipe is with qeema but I made these nargisi kofta with meat chunks actually.

So, following is my version of the recipe with a different gravy than the actual recipe.

Beef chunks 1 pound
channa daal 1/4 cup
1 onion
1 tsp salt
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
water 2 cups
boiled egg 2
1 egg beaten

Boil the two eggs and keep them aside. Put the beef chunk, daal, onion, salt, chilli powder and garam masala in the pressure cooker with the water and bit of oil and cook until the beef is soft and daal is done. Ghotafy the mixture until it becomes like a dough. Make a paste of it in the chopper so that beef chunk is well blended.

Cut the eggs from the middle. Take meat mixture and cover the egg with it like a ball. Dip it in the beaten egg and fry.

You can serve the nargisi koftay as an appetizer or continue to make the curry.

As it too me a while to make these, I continued with a quick gravy.

1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 tsp salt
bit of oil
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
3 tbsp mint leaves

Mix all the ingredients together over the stove for 10 minutes and pour it over the nargisi koftay before serving with roti or naan.

:)

Comments

Popular Posts